View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

Halo reflections, scope or camera???

After a good imaging night last night, some early processing of images left me a little disappointed, so I am looking for some feedback.

The problem is similar to here.....

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...se.php?a=59632

This is an old image but the problem is the same, all stars brighter than about mag 5 give me the halo as seen in the image.

Last night I had a go at m45 and given 7 stars brighter than such it was a complete dud.

The relevant details are qhy8 and wiliams optics flt132,
Most of my imaging does not include bright stars, horse head and the flame are probably the exceptions, as was the corona shot, the other 2 were done with another scope and camera. So it's a little difficult to ,ake a determination as to the cause ( I figure it's internal reflections but is it camera or scope) all other stars are fine so I'm not throwing gear away just yet.

Does anyone have any input from what they have used, and perhaps a solution, if it's the camera is there another ir filter setup? If it's the scope ..... Well I'm open to ideas.

Longer term I'm hoping to get a mono camera to do some b/w Ha imaging which would drop the stars intensity anyway.

Thanking you for suggestions in advance.

Clive