View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 03:28 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Many Thanks

Hi Alex & All,

Well, what can I say except to say thank you and blush a little.

That is the major reason I write -- in the hope I can lead others to the point where the sky and the Universe itself will inspire them to bigger and better things in their own astronomy.

When I post my "bulk observations" in this thread I sometimes worry that some people might see it as a self "ego-massage" -- in some way. There is a much better vernacular expression for "self ego-massage" but I won't use it here -- I think you get the picture without further clarification.

But that's not the reason at all.

The major reason I post them here is to demonstate that I live what I write -- I am an observologist: here is the proof. When I write stuff on observing, the appearance of things in the eyepiece comes from my notes of my observations through my telescope(s).

Other observing writers I have admired over the years like Walter Scott Houston, Leyland Copeland, Peter Williams, Sue French, Steve Gottlieb, Alan Whitman, Dave Eicher, Jenni Kay etc etc (not an exhaustive list) have the same Modus Operandi.

When you read their stuff it is clear they are real observers who observe with real telescopes and that they love what they do. Take the writing away and what would they be doing? Observing! Nothing would change. Personally, I love reading that sort of stuff from those sorts of people and it pushes me to see more and more -- as much as I can, while I still can.

In the same way I also love it when others post theirs here -- I like to read what they're doing, what they're seeing and how it looked -- no matter how you do it or with what telescope.

Thanks for the compliment Alex -- much appreciated.

Best,

Les D