View Single Post
Old 24-02-2013, 01:33 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Paul,

I tried the demo version of all three of the automation packages you mentioned. I also read up on SequenceGeneratorPro but didn't try it. In the end I chose to stump up the big bucks for ACP. I already had a full licence for PinPoint so I was able to save a little by upgrading that.

CCDC is probably the easiest to get started with. Unlike Rob, I did manage to crash it once or twice. It would have been adequate for what I generally do now (leave the scope running for a few hours while I sleep.)

CCDAP is more capable and has some neat wizards. I didn't entirely get on with the scheduling GUI (forget to hit the update button and silently lose all your changes, WTF?) and a couple of times it misbehaved when left unattended.

ACP is the most comprehensive and configurable of the packages, as you'd expect for the price. There's very little it can't do and if it doesn't you can script it. It takes a while to configure and get your head around, but it has always operated flawlessly for me since I got it set up. I console myself on the price by thinking it will be the perfect solution if/when I ever get a remote obs. Bob Denny also offers first class support on the DC-3 Dreams forum (the other packages seem to be well supported too...)

If you have the time I'd also recommend playing with the trial versions to see what suits you best. I could probably have learned to live happily with any of them but I found ACP suited me best. Disclaimer: I'm a computer geek for a living, so YMMV

Cheers,
Rick.