View Single Post
Old 27-02-2020, 05:39 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Rob,

the auto exposure handles day time imaging well too. It goes down to fractions of a second to achieve the correct exposure day or night. I did find however, that night time needed to have the gain raised to 300, to obtain the correct exposure for my dark sky site.
That's good to know - if you've managed to get any daytime images with it, I'd love to see how it goes.

Quote:
The RPi is cooled by a cooling unit which is from RPi too. Temperatures typically look to be around 50C at most during the very hot days. The sensor on the camera gets quite hot but has so far performed well.
That's pretty hot. The fan can only circulate the air that it has, so although that's better than no fan, if I do it, I might try to put some filtered holes underneath with very fine mesh, just to give it a chance to get some cooler air.

Quote:
The 120 will not work correctly with a Pi4 I believe, but is ok with a Pi3 from what I have been told. The resolution is not really a problem if you just want something to see what the clouds are like. If you want more detail you will need a more advanced camera.
I think the issue was with the older USB 2 model, not the newer USB 3 one, but I will stand corrected. I have both kinds of PI here. I suspect the older one would do just fine anyway, it's not that "busy".