View Single Post
Old 26-02-2020, 12:22 AM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham.hobart View Post
I have collected the bits to do this as well with a mono ZWO camera, my problem is powering the raspberry pi in the garden. I wondered whether using a power over ethernet POE hat for the pi would then provide enough power for both the pi and the camera?
I haven't tried it yet as I have only just got my boards.
Would be simple if so, a long ethernet cable would do the job(s)!!
I think I'd like to take this approach, as my house & observatory are wired with a POE switch. Have you tested to see of the POE Hat can power the camera and the Pi? Running some ethernet out to an enclosure with everything in it seems like a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
I don't know the answer to that question Graham. Perhaps someone here will know the answer. I have used a USB cable with power adapter water proofed temporarily for testing, but you can buy quite long powered USB's that should work too. Digging a trench is also an option. However, at the Observatory I'll be running a long protected USB to the power adapter inside.
I ran my ASI290MM in a CCTV camera enclosure which I found in the junk pile at work, but that required running a USB extension out. Admittedly, I put it out there in summer, so wasn't too risky, but I'd be interested to hear how you waterproofed your USB cable (especially since I'm going to have to run the cable at least 10 metres to get clear of the dome and mount it somewhere nicely out of the way.

I have the video of that attempt https://youtu.be/Le-MwpNq2Wc?t=10.

And the same from inside the dome https://youtu.be/Le-MwpNq2Wc?t=196

You can ignore the rest of the video if you aren't interested in the ASI1600MM.

Also, where did you get the dome cover? The link that is provided on the instructables page has no stock.