View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 07:28 PM
cwjohn (Chris)

Mewlon 250 Collimation

Hi

I have dug out my old Mewlon 250 after many years and much travel. It is approximately 15 years old and unfortunately it has had a rough time after many moves.

The problem I have is that the primary is significantly out of alignment and all of my attempts to adjust it have come to nothing. The problem is that in the older Mewlons there was no proper adjustment and they relied on correct mechanical machining in the factory to get the primary adjustment correct. Every time I attempt to use the locking screws (3 off) to adjust the primary, when I tighten them the primary mechanism simply slips back via the bevel on the base to its natural position which unfortunately, due to various drops by freight movers over the years, is now seriously out of alignment. I think the newer Mewlons have incorporated a proper primary adjustment mechanism.

Does anybody know whether there is anybody in Australia who can possibly look at this, or does it have to go back to Japan for rectification. Also, given the potential cost of rectification, and the prices I have seen here for a second hand units does it make sense to even consider fixing this.

Thanks in advance.

Chris