Thread: Sbig -402me
View Single Post
Old 23-08-2008, 11:08 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Make the effort. RTFM. It will be worth it.

The ST402 will happily go 5 minutes or so with the Jewel Box before the camera saturates.

Apart from focus and tracking, the data is there. You just need to tease it out. Try gamma scaling or DDP each R, G and B exposure so the stars look, well, like stars, rather than featureless blobs. Then combine the RG&B data.
I know RTFM is a great idea, but remembering im a uni student that has a overload semester in engineering. which isn't a walk in the park. I use my one monday evening every week to A. take a break, B. Get out of the house, and C. get away from the mother inlaw.... not only that i have all this gear here that i have the option to use because i have helped curtin uni a bucketload and I have prepared lectures on telescope optic's (physics is a favorite of mine). So basically they say. yep you can use it pretty much by yourself.!

As for the jewel box, the photo that i added first was taken at 40 milliseconds...???....! i took one at 10 seconds and all i had was big white lines from one side to the other. and the range was all taken up and maxed out. Now weather there is a "gain" and its wicked right up im not sure. but ill figure it out eventually!

I am a beginner and if it was me i would have started with a trusty EQ6 mount and a Skywatcher ED 80 with some nice gear to suite and then get some decent shots, but im working with what i have for now!