View Single Post
Old 19-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Spanrz (Brett)
Always fixing a CAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
I assume you mean you can copy/move/display image files but not the .mov files.
It see's the .mov's, it can run the .mov's (5 sec) and it will start to move the .mov files, as in 1/3 has transferred. At that point it locks up, error message pops up as says something that there is no data?? (windows error message)
Windows explorer locks up completely and is unusable. Have to start another session. Tried reboot after reboot, no avail.
The only thing that I can get anything close to the issue, if at all it's related, is that the card reader was too old for these high end cards (class 10).
I have an older car reader at work, maybe a few years old, it reads class 2 chips fine up to 4gb. 8gb is no good, it reads it, but locks up when displaying data, it's too much data for it, and this issue I am having is giving me about 90% of the same issue as with work's card reader.
Though the newer card reader does read 8gb chips.

Quote:
If the problem is identical when reading from the camera and card reader then it's unlikely both are at fault.
That's what I had been thinking, but wasn't sure. How can 2 near new devices fail at the same time? LoL, the chances...........

Quote:
The onlu thing I can think of is to try moving the .MOV file from the camera via the USB I/F to another machine. It could possibly also be your anti-virus or spyware checker causing the problem.
Going to try that now. See how it goes. Have a laptop with an inbuilt reader

EDIT: Tried in the laptop. Laptop read the card, loaded a 26mb .mov file, no problem, loaded up ran for 5 seconds and locked up.
Can't close explorer, can't close quicktime, had to a major reboot again. That was using vista, PC had xp.
Both machines had the latest quicktime.
The last line of defence, now is to turn off antivirus, as a pure guess (your suggestion).
Failing that, might try a low end vid to see if it's the camera's encoding changes it's issue of lockups.

Last edited by Spanrz; 19-09-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Info