View Single Post
Old 19-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Spanrz (Brett)
Always fixing a CAT.

Did I make a mistake with an SDCARD?

Having a Canon 500D camera is great, but..............

So, it works like this. I can take pictures and movies with a brand new San Disk class 10 8 gig (extreme SD) chip in the 500D. I can display/move/copy pictures to my HDD fine.
But it comes to moving/viewing vids, it just collapses in a heap and locks up. The vid does work, albeit for 5 seconds then locks up.

I have even tried the camera as a chip reader and it fails too. The chip reader I have is near brand new from Teds Camera store (go figure).

I have just bought a class10 SD card, purely for the concept of HD movie (1920)
Now I also have had the class 2 - 4 gig and 8 gig chips working perfectly.
They are fine with photo's etc.
The class 2 chips, do capture vids, but I have to decrease the size down to the lowest resolution and have no sound, to get an approx 50 sec vid.

But when it comes to movies at higher better quality, the chip speed isn't ample. So I did some research. The 500D needs atleast class 6 for HD recording.
So, went out yesterday and looked for somehwat of class 6 and above.
3 stores could only give me class 4, including DSE (pffft).

So my last resort was Teds Camera. "Ahhh yes, we have them", so I decided on an 8 gig one-class 10, as I just didn't need the 16gb yet.
But the class was different for the 16 (class 8)
Same brand and packaging (SanDisk Extreme), just double the data just a tad smaller on the speed.
Didn't really want the class 10, but thought that it might "futureproof" me a bit longer. Did I just do myself in?

How do get data (movies) off a class 10 chip? The reader is about 3 months old and so is the camera. Neither avenue worked.
I can play the vid on the camera and on the PC for 5 secs (quicktime), just can't get the file to move or copy.
The file sizes that I am trying to copy over is about 25 MB, which is doing my head in.