View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 11:50 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
Mmmm..... all the hype surrounding Li-Ion batteries, let me frame this differently via a question "Who is satisfied with the battery life of their Laptop"? I am not happy with either the life of my laptop batteries nor their service life. Who believes their laptop battery will last 10 years sic Tesla Powerwall!
It's about it we all look beyond the hype (advertising Bs') and adopt a pragmatic approach to power. The storage of elections is not aided by Musk-type press conferences, electrons don't care how successful a product launch is, nor how good the press is following a product launch.
The efficient storage of elections is the stuff of engineering & science, not marketing.
1. You not being happy with how long your laptop battery lasts is a pointless argument. It simply means that the manufacturer decided to go for smaller battery to make the laptop smaller and more user-friendly. By the way, here is a laptop with 22h of video playback battery life.

2. The service life is a different story but somehow unrelated to the Li-ion batteries used for power storage. Different application, different charge/discharge cycles, different power etc will have different effect on the battery life. Apples and oranges.

3. Criticizing Li-ion batteries for having a good marketing is not a point.

4. Criticizing Li-ion batteries without comparing them to the alternatives is not a point, especially after previously saying how much better the alternative is.

5. Tesla is not the only manufacturer selling Li-ion storage solutions and Tesla is not the only manufacturer having 10 years warranty.
Just to name another one, Mercedes-Benz Energy Storage Home has warranty that the batteries will keep 80% of original charge capacity after 8000 charging cycles. That is over 20 years of daily charge/discharge cycles, typical for a household. And Mercedes-Benz is a brand name that has lots to lose by selling dodgy batteries that do not perform (unsure what those batteries cost, probably more than Tesla. But the point is that the Li-ion batteries can last much longer than you say).

5. Talking about "electrons, engineering and science" while only criticizing Li-ion batteries is very, very misleading. The lead-acid batteries have to obey exactly the same laws of physics as the Li-ion batteries. So do I and so do you. Musk, advertising, whatever. It makes no difference, physics is physics, science is science.

6. Instead of saying that Li-ion batteries are bad how about actually comparing them with your preferred solution, the lead-acid battery. How would Li-ion powered laptop compare to a lead-acid powered laptop? And let's ignore the size/battery density for the comparison purposes.

The facts are:
Both types of batteries will degrade over time.
The modern Li-ion battery will outlast the modern lead-acid battery for power storage.
Li-ion batteries have more suitable charging/discharging characteristics for power storage.
Li-ion batteries cost more.
Both types of batteries have been around for a long time and there was lots of independent testing. Science is there and not being hidden my Musk and the others.
Both battery types present a good power storage solution.

However, if the whole life of the battery is taken into account the Li-ion works out cheaper (at the current state of technology). On the other hand lead-acid is a cheaper entry solution. Take a pick.

Apologies to OP for going off-topic.