View Single Post
Old 26-08-2014, 08:10 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitarian View Post
Chip size, pixel size , pixel number, processor, flip screen, noise
100D, 1200D, 600D, 700D all 18mp but with different features.
The 1200D is probably of limited value as apparently it is fixed at ISO800 in bulb mode(using a remote). I haven't got one so can't verify this.

The 100D is very light weight, handy if you have a focuser that struggles, and has high res 1mpix screen.

The 600D and 700D both have the flip screen and also 1mpix screens.

Do not underestimate the value of these two features if you are shooting off the back of the camera.
The flip screen is insanely handy when the scope is in an awkward orientation, which is most of the time.
Since migrating to the 60Da(from the 300D then 400D then 40D) I would never go back to a camera without a flipscreen.

The high res screen makes focusing much easier and also makes judging the quality of your subs more accurate when reviewing. Use one of the 1mpix screen camera's for a while and then go back to a 230k(1100D) pixel camera and you will balk at how ugly the image is. Think back to the old school big pixel mobile phone screens compared to todays phone displays, similar difference.
These two features alone are, in my mind, worth the extra expense over the lower models.

Ofcourse, if you intend to shoot only tethered (with a computer and BackYardEOS or Astro Photography Tool etc) and rarely off the back of the cam, then this is probably not going to be of great importance to you.