View Single Post
Old 27-01-2015, 03:42 PM
zarazabas

Hi Hugh, thanks for your reply. Basically, my experience with my old pentax DSLR was my trial run; and I'm certain that I am on the verge of falling into the rabbit hole!

There are just so many drawbacks with this old camera that I absolutely need something better, and would prefer to get something that is capable of good results straight away. Not suggesting that the 1200D isn't capable of good results, but I am certainly willing to spend more money if the quality improvement is significant. Currently with my old pentax, the dialy-wheely thing i use to change settings works sporadically, the batteries are terrible, there is no live view to check focus, and the noise level is horrendous.

I am much more familiar with the use of a DSLR and hence was leaning towards upgrading my existing one to the 6d, however as I was on the verge of pulling the trigger it occurred to me that I should probably look into alternatives such as a cooled CCD thingy-doolio (technical term).

I'm not shy of learning to use unfamiliar equipment, but if modern DSLR's are capable of achieving comparable results then I would prefer to have the flexibility offered by having a camera that can also be utilised for non-astro purposes.