View Single Post
Old 14-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Phil Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskies View Post
When you changed the colour space setting on the monitor to say Adobe RGB, that changes #1. However, the operating system still thinks you're in sRGB mode so it's sending RGB data in sRGB format to the monitor... hence why you get the colour shift. When you change your monitor setting to Adobe RGB, at the same time you also need to go into the colour management settings (I *think* it's under Control Panel -> Displays in Windows... I don't recall off the top of my head) and change the colour profile for the monitor to Adobe RGB.

Once you've adjusted #1 and #2 simultaneously, you shouldn't get a colour shift - but in some images you might be able to notice slightly richer saturation.
Thanks.. that's about where I got to as well. You have to dig a fair way in the control panel (choose Advanced settings twice) to change the Monitor profile but I'm going to experiment a little with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskies View Post
If you colour calibrate a monitor, you basically set the monitor to its "best" custom setting (#1), and the calibration device physically measures the colours and creates a new colour profile for the operating system to use (#2). This way, you can maximise the capabilities of what the monitor can display.
The downside to doing this is that you start to see your own images a fair (/little) bit differently to the rest of the world viewing them in sRGB colour space on sRGB enabled hardware. But if you don't do this, then there's not a lot of value in working in Adobe RGB in Photoshop anyway.. except I guess that your colour management enabled local or online printer can do a little more with them etc.

oh well.. i'm learning again.. thanks for the comments.