Old 21-04-2018, 09:59 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
US Military funding for 2018: 639 BILLION USD

US NASA funding for 2018: 18.4 BILLION USD

Atlas shrugged...
I was under the understanding that NASA"s funding was a LOT less than 18 billion per year (more in the order of 600M or so). And military funding was upwards of a trillion dollars per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I though the military budget was higher...and so it should be...we need to build battle stars to protect the solar system.
Battle Stars really make sence as you could place all military activity upon space ships a long way from here and unite the world against the threat of attack from other solar systems...plus space research would be a happy spin off.
We need to explore the places in this solar system to establish if any thteats to Earth may exist within the solar system so of course we need missions to more places than Mars...
Alex
lol. NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I wasnt being sarcastic. ..well not if we hope to save the space program.

NASA needs to fall back from all involvement in climate observation , not saying such is not needed but it will work against them.
But a battle star program will immediately bring all Republicans on side and that wont hurt funding ...I bet involvement in climate observation hurts NASA big time...think of the politics.
Alex
NO. Absolutely not. NASA is about science, not military BS. The US government needs to start showing less war-mongering and de-militarisation. Trump and co. are anti climate change, and that's obvious by who Trump appointed to the head of the EPA. Reversal of key anti-pollution laws (clean water policy), the strong push for money making exercises at the cost of local environments, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
That's what they'll make known. The rest, the black budget or the taxpayer and senate unauthorised bottomless pit .... in the words of Borat : " you will never have this ...."

As an aside:
I haven't checked lately but the US National debt was around $18 Trillion post Obama (EDIT: Now $21 Trillion). every now and then the market wakes up to the growing level of the debt and goes into a mild or severe melt down. The next one is always just around the corner.

Best
JA
The US government (like any, really) is notorious for lying about expenditure. So much for serving the people. Which is why I laugh when people think that we live in a democracy - we do NOT.