Thread: 3d printers
View Single Post
Old 29-11-2017, 06:20 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Heck Sil, no argument, I'm not seeing junk and I'm not complaining. I'd quite like one to play with but still not sure what I'd specifically use it to make. The other factor is whether I'd be capable of learning the 3D modelling software enough to make real use of it.

I guess I'm being rather practical about it all. I have a Lathe\Mill downstairs and confess I haven't used it as much as I expected to. We have a serious colour printer ( Photo quality ) at home as well which gets minimal use. The parts I need making need to be very rigid so metal is normally the only answer

With a 90 x 90 x 90 work space and what looks to be quite a solid frame setup it looks to be capable of creating something useful but I can't think of anything specific to my requirements.
Hence my question, I was actually trying to justify buying one.

EDIT:
Bit of a rider here. I work at a company that sells serious 3D printers to jewellers, prototyping manufacturers etc and is expanding the business market in that area considerably with industrial quality units. Their idea of a cheap entry level 3D printer is about $5000 and they go up into the $100,000 bracket or more. So I am not unaware of their capabilities but also aware of the amount of work needed to turn out accurate and reliable components. I supply the big computers the designers need to do the design work so I know what is required.