View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 06:53 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Hey Roobi, glad you are enjoying it. Your scope is the same size as my first one. You could get a shorter eyepiece to get more magnification, but remember, magnifying also makes it dimmer and gives you a much smaller field of view, so much harder to find objects and keep them in the field. On my 130mm scope I found the 10mm was only just useable, mainly only used the 25mm. You could save up some money and go get some premium EPs, but you are probaly better of saving for a bigger scope!!
Try and get yourself to a local club or observing night. Most observers are happy to let you see what different eyepieces will do and givce you a look and some advice.
As for colour, even bright nebs like M42 (Great Orion Neb) show only very subtle colour in big scopes and only when seeing and transparency are exceptional. Even then, seasoned observers may not see it. Magnification also dims objects so making colour even harder to see. Filters act by only letting certain wavelengths of light through, so improving contrast, they won't actually brighten or improve colour.
Anyway, continue exploring and see what else you can find.

Malcolm

Last edited by barx1963; 09-01-2010 at 12:20 PM.