View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 07:30 AM
BajaBahia (Howard)

Hi Folks,

We saw some very nice images in your forum here, taken with the gear that we are trying to use, and we're hoping we might be able to get some help in our attempts.

We are new to using this telescope, and new to Astrophotography-
and are in the process of setting it all up right now in remote Baja, Mexico.

We were assured help from the telescope store that recommended this setup and sold it to us, Oceanside Telescope in California, but that assistance has simply has not been provided to us.
(The Mitty Wedge did not even have the necessary bolts for installation, so it is not in the setup at this time.)

Our two main issues right now are:
1) The camera images are showing up in the computer as only distortion.
2) The telescope is not connecting to the computer at all.

We are also using an 8" Meade LX200RGPS, with a Meade DSI III. Also, a NextGEN Widefield 0.5x Telecompressor, and a NextGEN MAXfield mounting plate #17392 - 2.05 (both by Optec). The DSI III is connected to an XP partition on a MacBook Pro via USB 2, and we're using the AutoStar software that came with the camera. (All except the scope were bought new two weeks ago.)

The camera and photographic image are appearing in the AutoStar software, but we're not getting much more than an amorphic pixilated blob. Regardless of focus adjustments I've tried so far.

By night or day testing.
Terrestrially by day- aiming at a wall down the bay, or aiming at Jupiter by night.

Any tips or info that you could refer us to on the specifics of the setup of one of these systems would be a great help to us.

Also, we have been unsuccessful in connecting the telescope to the computer.
(We tested each of these separately: a MacBook Pro running Windows XP running AutoStar, and a Mac Powerbook G4 running Starry Night.)

There is no sign of actual connection to the telescope via the Serial to USB convertor.
Both Starry Night and AutoStar software do not sense it.

We were supplied with a cable that is RS232 to RJ11 (Standard phone type connection)
(I think it is perhaps not the correct cable for this use ?)

The only RJ11 port on our Meade LX200GSP is the HBX port, for the AutoStar II handset.

I also tried the Serial to USB convertor > the HBX port.
That didn't work either.

Since all information we have found indicate using the telescope's RS232 ports for computer connection to the software, I've connected the RS232 end of the adapter, to the telescope via a cable which is RS232 on both ends.
This attempt was also unsuccessful.

At this point, we have no way of knowing if the Convertor is bad,
or the Adapter is bad.
Or the Cabling is bad (though I have tried all available cables).
Or if the RS232 ports on the telescope are bad.
(The scope was thoroughly vetted by the techs before we brought it here.)

Or some special Drivers are required, of which we have no information.
(All the software has been carefully installed as per their instructions.)

Any and all help sincerely welcome.
Thanks to all for your time.

Howard