View Single Post
Old 21-02-2020, 12:42 PM
Paul Haese

This is the main reason I pay for hosting my own website. I have the entire copy of the site stored in three different places. And; as they say in data storage, "it's not stored unless it is stored in three separate places".

Whilst I am not an Astrobin member, I have several times thought about just putting all my data on to a site like Smugmug. I still have terabytes of data stored in three places and would continue to do so, but I will probably never go to Astrobin now after witnessing this rookie error. I feel sorry for the guy but it was not a great idea to admit you made a rookie mistake out in the open, nor was it a good idea to do something like that without checking first what the implications would be of the deleting data. Especially after recently wanting to up the price of subscriptions.

I think I agree with someone else's analysis; this might well be the end of Astrobin. People do use these places as storage facilities and most likely don't have copies of their own or if they do, it might well be hundreds of images to sort through and starting again will be pain to hard to bear.

Time will tell....