View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 06:42 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Corey
Having had the SW 130mm scope that you mention, my advice is DO NOT PRESS THE BUTTON!! IMHO these scopes are the worst things to be sold to beginners. Hard to use, hard to setup, often with very poor mounts (EQ2 mounts should be consigned to the dustbin of history)

In most cases an 8" is usually the best bet. Enough aperture to see lots, easy to use and setup, can easily be sold on if you decide the hobby is not for you or you want to upgrade. And if it takes a few weeks to save up a couple of 100 extra $$$, you can spend that time researching what to look at when it arrives.

Malcolm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Hey guys,

New here so will ask the standard rookie qu's.

I have read and ingested much of the advice here and I have quite a distance between the first scope I would love to own and the scope I can actually afford.

Plan A: 8' dobsonian. Problem is I can't afford it.

Plan B: I found a good price on this scope: Skywatcher | 130/1000 Reflector Telescope. This is on a few sites as a good beginner. I will press the button on the this shortly if people on here think it will work okay.

Plan c: 10x50 binoculars till the dust settles.

I understand the considerations but as I am a rookie i actually don't know what I will enjoy the most.

Advice welcome. Please!!!