View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 08:53 PM
geolindon (Lindon)

Jordan,

i am also new to Amateur Astronomy, i started with magazines like Australian Sky & Telescope - good articles, monthly star chart and tours/lists of interesting viewing for that month,

then Sky map free when i got a smart phone, learnt the bright stars and easier constellations by pointing the phone n comparing the screen with the view - i realise now i was privileged to have dark skies 'cos that sure made it easier.

then the 8" dob n find my way around from charts like stellarium/printed/Wikipedia/comet chaser. a bit like u would use a street directory in an area you know - get to the general area with a few well known landmarks/stars then narrow in by star hopping using the charts.

now with the 16" i have ordered a nexus 7 tablet (android) and will be setting up SkEye app.

more conventional AND more accurate systems include Argo Navis n digital setting circles, or altitude inclinometers and printed azimuth setting circles and computer controlled Go To systems.

other IISers know far more and will chime in with great advice. all of this stuff is covered by threads you can find on the forum. have a look around n keep asking away

its great fun but beware aperture fever. enjoy