View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 12:07 PM
rogerg (Roger)

The balance is not easy.

I need sleep. I know several astronomers who don't seem to, and my wife is always telling me not to compare my productivity to them. I find it impossible not to.

I feel an obligation to get the most value from what I have and use my gear when it's clear.

From the start I planned my hobby around needing to work full time so went down the line of buying not making, and goto not manual (back in those days), and then the observatory and then automation.

The only way I get as many photo's as I do is due to the automation of my observatory. It's exceedingly rare for me to walk in to my observatory on any given night, I instead remote login between cooking dinner and get it going, check it's shut via the webcam in the morning. It can sometimes be a few weeks of use before I open the door to check on it in person even though it's only 30m out the back door. Just too many other things to do.

My wide field stuff is done during holidays or when I actually have a free night.

I used to process my images on the train in to work via remote desktop connection through my iPad to observatory PC.

My goal these days is to place less pressure on myself to use the gear and enjoy the bits I do use it more.