View Single Post
Old 31-07-2020, 11:14 AM
DRCORTEX (Lance)
Neo - as in Dr Neo Cortex

Replacement for CPC800 - cracked corrector

Well people, due to an unfortunate accident, my CPC800 is now cactus. I was using this with Hyperstar for widefield nebulae imaging with an ASI294MC.

The bummer is, it is impossible to find a replament OTA for this scope, and the cost of repairs ( including transport to Celestron in the USA ), is lineball as to cost vs benefit.

So, I have all of this Celestron equipment - Wireless dongle, motorised focuser, eyepieces, masks, Starsense, F/6.3 reducer, on and on.

Based on this, I was considering buying the CGX800 as a replacement - great weight ratio between the CGX ( 25kg ), against the C8 OTA - non edge ( 7.5kg). Should make for a rock steady imaging platform, and I can use all of my Celestron gear salvaged from the CPC800.

Now my question - is this the way I should be going ? I love my Hyperstar, so would like to keep that in the equation, or is an edge a better option, sell the C8 hyperstar, and go an edge Hyperstar with a new OTA ?

I'm especially keen, to move into Galaxy imaging, but is this the right combination. I hear the F6/3 reducer, is really for visual use, not imaging ?

Perhaps I should look at an F/4 Newt on an EQ6-R ? or a 120mm APO ?

I look forward to your thoughts,

Regards,

Lance