View Single Post
Old 22-08-2019, 07:31 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohn View Post
What a load of vacuous nonsense. I personally know at least 20 astronomer/cosmologists who are atheist and have never attended religious schools.

Leee, there is a number of resources available to you where you can get sensible answers to your questions. PBS spacetime is a good resource on youtube. There are many books on the subject which simplify this subject matter for non-scientists. There are many other resources.

Unfortunately Cosmology is not a simple subject, and you really need a good command of maths to properly understand it, but a bit of effort to at least try to get a grasp of it will generally yield results. However, rest assured those that study this subject (over 4 years undergraduate, followed by 3-4 years at PHD level, and then many years after that) are the cream of the intellectual crop, and religion or any other non-scientific claptrap is the last thing in their minds.
Which comments specifically do you consider to be,as you put it, nonsense.

I thought I was somewhat even handed but I welcome your direction as to where I have been out of line..I thought at most my rant could be only described as speculative if not indeed less abrasive than the reality sets out.

I gather you draw no link between the big bang and the opportunity of a creation event and if so you are indeed entitled to take such a position but in so doing please do not exclude my opportunity to think what ever it is that I may think.
I do not need to drive the point I make home as it was the main point of concern for those who felt the big bang was a creationist plot all those years ago when it was first presented..check your history...
We are after all talking about cosmology a subject which not withstanding many protests that "their"view is correct is by no means proven or established one way or the other beyond a belief.
However I must say I agree with your sentiment in so far as the accepted model is the only model that can be presented to the masses..It has the merit of all things are backed up in some sort of way.... And so I must say investigation of the current accepted model is perhaps the only model that should be offered to answer questions from the public.
Still your suggestion that I speak nonsense is only an opinion and if you really wish to debate the matter perhaps start with all you have and let me reply Else don't be so abrasive..it is after all a general chat so don't get so upset. Or we could go toe to toe and I will argue against whatever it is you argue for... That will prove only one thing..look cosmology is not irrespective of one's beliefs in the big bang established..it is today but who knows what the future holds..if you think our view in 1000 years will be the same as today well you are definitely wrong.
Still in my view the big bang was presented to offer a scientific foundation for creation and that view has been held by many thru history and whether it be likes that statement or not it is the fact that history recoeds .
Alex