View Single Post
Old 15-04-2012, 03:16 PM
gregbradley

I played around with this one myself yesterday. You got some nice data there.

Despite your $2000+ Canon lens being L glass it is showing terrible chromatic aberration. I guess this is the price you pay for F1.2.
I see similar type of stars with my $250 Pentax 67 lenses although not quite as magenta as these.

So we see how much Canon is getting away with here on what is no doubt a superb lens in normal daytime photography. Its the same with Nikon. I have seen Nikon 85mm F1.4 lenses give terrible chromatic aberration which is being shown up with these new 36mp D800 cameras. Awful, yet its an expensive lens. F1.8 lenses will be cheaper and perform better. 50mm F1.8 is hard to beat, super cheap and super high quality with little distortion and little chromatc aberration. Hence the nickname "nifty fifty".

The easiest way to handle this is to use the selective colours tool in Photoshop. Select magenta and pull down sliders and up cyan and then select blues and pull down magenta and up cyan. You will be able to get it looking more bluish which would the actual colour of the stars.

I'd run HLVG which is a free green noise Photoshop plug in from Rogelio Andrea to reduce the excessive green in the image.

Then you will be left with more natural colours that you can then enhance as you will without pushing the colour bias even more.

If you black clipped the data early on then youd have to go back and start again and keep an eye on the histogram.

Hope this helps.

Greg.