View Single Post
Old 14-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Jonathan

You're going to love that camera Mike!
Ebay is pretty good for picking up cheap new filters. Search in - Cameras & Accessories > Photographic Accessories > Filters.
Hoya is probably the most common brand and is well priced. You've got to get UV filters for both lenses as a priority. They can be left on the lens virtually all the time to protect the glass, and they cut down haze in your photo's. Cost from $15 - $50 depending on diameter and type.

After that, look at getting Circular Polarizing filters, mainly one for your 18-55mm lens, not so important for the 70-300mm depending on what you're photographing (I rarely use Circular Polarizing filters on my bigger lenses, but reguarly on my smaller ones). They'll give you brilliant deep blue skies in your pictures, and they'll also cut down reflections from shiny surfaces and water. Cost from $30 - $70, depending on diameter etc. Just one thing to be careful of though. Because the front of the filter rotates, the entire filter mount is quite thick compared to a normal filter (on Hoya brand anyway). It can cause vignetting at wide angles - I've had this problem at 28mm with my Nikon 35mm camera. I'm sure there must be someone here with the same lens that could tell you.

Another thing you might want to consider getting is lens hoods (unless they came with the lenses). They shield your lens from stray light and at night they work as a dew shield as well for those piggy back shots. If you were to get a non-canon brand one, be careful of vignetting with the wide angle lens.

Like Tony said, ask for a Lowepro bag for Christmas. I've got a fairly small one but it's like the tardis - big on the inside. I can fit a camera body, 2 telephoto lenses, a short lens, a handful of filters, film and other junk into it no probs, and also it's very tough and well made - cost about $70 a few years ago, and will last for many more years.