View Single Post
Old 17-11-2016, 01:36 PM
Profiler (Profiler)

Thank you Wavytone and Ausastronomer

You have both provided me with a wealth of information.

From my perspective I am trying to pick a good eyepiece that will work well in my 80mm refractor AND - hopefully - won't be too shabby in a Dob as well.

I am not sold on the Pentax/Delos/LVW EPs as I prefer to avoid their big ergonomics (i.e. I like my EPs smaller where possible) but I do indeed like the ER they all offer.

I am really trying to decide what might be the best option amongst

Nagler T5 16mm

Nagler T6 13mm

Vixen SSW 14mm

Initially, the 16mm T5 Nagler seems to tick all boxes with one main fault - it has very limited ER of only 10mm

The 13mm T6 is about the same but the fov is little smaller but this is offset with 2mm extra of ER - so hopefully a bit more comfortable

The 14mm Vixen SSW seems perfect in terms of 13mm ER, good fov, great japanese glass from Vixen etc but no one seems to be able comment on how well they perform in Dobs etc. Indeed, I read one discouraging review which indicated that the outer 10% has significant astigmatisim.

So - in summary - I am stuck and really not certain what is the best option which led me full circle to consider the 14mm Delos but then I remembered the issues with the Pentax 14mm XW and hence why I started this thread with my question about the Delos

PS
DeLites seem to lack fov which I crave

Last edited by Profiler; 17-11-2016 at 09:59 PM.