View Single Post
Old 29-10-2020, 08:15 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Greg
I’ve been using telescope control EQMOD with Stellarium for 4 years but not using Ascom as it wasn’t Ascom supported. You had to use StellariumScope ( 3rd party ) as the driver which worked ok.
But since Stellarium version 0.19.3 November 2019 ,developer Gion Kunz got the go ahead from Alexander Wolf of Stellarium to work on getting Stellarium Ascom supported which he did in version 0.19.3
I decided to give it a go in the past week and use Ascom as my driver rather than the old StellariumScope and I’ve completed testing now. It works beautifully
See my post in Beginners section and above
Also I’m not a fan of PC Direct method ( handcontroller to laptop ) only EQ Direct or USB Direct method.Again I posted a excerpt from EQMOD on the dangers of using PC Direct method in the Beginners section. EQMOD do not recommend PC Direct method even though Skywatcher have a range of USB adapters etc. from handcontroller to laptop ( the new version 5 handcontrollers have an extra USB2B port to use this method )
As far a USB wifi apps straight from the mount are concerned , I don’t use them so can’t comment , I only set up hard wired between mount and laptop as I’m set up for weeks at a time plus I’m building an observatory soon at my dark site so I will be hard wiring , even cat 5e data cables from house to Dome

Cheers
Martin