View Single Post
Old 29-10-2020, 07:32 AM
gregmc (Greg)

I also put together information earlier this year that might help.

Remember that ASCOM is just the software connector that talks a common language between astro apps.

To replace your hand controller (its a computer and app that you are replacing), you need something like EQMOD or GSS or SynScan app to connect to your mount (with appropriate cable from computer to the mount) - Get your app of choice connected to your mount first solving any USB issues etc. (before trying any ASCOM stuff). I also put together Serial connection to mount info if needed.

Then you need something to tell the mount control app where to point the mount. A camera control app like APT, SGPro, NINA etc can do that as well as control a camera etc if needed.
A planetarium app such as Stellarium or Cartes du Ceil can also point the mount to a spot in the sky.

Don't forget the other basics like the initial polar alignment. If you are just pointing and not imaging, look into something like 3 star alignment. (if doing that, use EQMOD to control mount as it has a software pointing model) If doing photography, think about learning how to do guiding and plate solving with an imaging app (mentioned earlier)

http://www.astrophotosite.com/tiki-i...ection_options

cheers
Greg