View Single Post
Old 27-10-2020, 02:43 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
The object shown in my example is CTB-1 (very faint) and no image whether 36 hours with a CDK14 or 52 hours with a 30cm Newt has anything like the 127mm detail, which I believe is largely generated by some kind of AI sharpening (could be wrong).
That sharpened close up is typical of Topaz Labs DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI. It creates and adds these stringy details. Dead give away.

I've noticed that on many planetary shots including mine when I used the Topaz AI suite. It's even harder to tell on a Jupiter shot because the clouds are so busy and dynamic.
But what gave it away is when I started doing animations.
The AI thingy would process each frames differently because the pattern slightly changes when the planet rotates and new details pop in and out of existence.

As a test rotate the same deep sky shot let's say 30 degrees clockwise or anticlockwise and apply the same filter to the same crop. I guarantee the result will be different.

So AI could be good (barely) to enhance terrestrial or people shots but it doesn't in anyway reflect the reality. Even having the sliders right down to zero will in some cases leave residual processing in your photos depending on the image scale.

There is no such issues with the previous Topaz Labs 2 or 1 where the sliders are purely manual and you can save a configuration as a preset. Because you have control over every aspect of noise reduction and sharpening you can stop before it gets silly. Also applying the same settings to different pictures and/or orientation of the same will yield similar and consistent results.