Thread: Camera lenses
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 AM
gregbradley

I've had very limited experience with a few Pentax k-mount lenses and found these have worked very well in general on both my QHY9 (with Peter Tan adaptor) and Canon 450D. In fact I've had a lot of un-anticipated fun using them on my kids as portrait lenses. 28mm f/2.8 for widefield and 200 f/4 for closer in. 100 f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.8 still untried, but have Barnard's loop in mind. As nice as Pentax 67 lenses are, the reality is they're getting up in price towards what you might pay for an ED80, and the extra illuminated field un-necessary for 8300 sensors (perfectly understandable if you have a larger sensor or are buying for future redundancy though). Marc put me on to Pentax lenses, and I believe he buys M42 threaded lenses.

The electronics are useless anyway for nightscapes etc unless the new 6D can focus in the dark (maybe it can). Live view focusing or magnified eyepiece or Bahtinov mask are available.

Yes Pentax 67 is really needed only if you want to use a focuser between the camera and lens like a FLi PDF or Atlas. Pentx 645 may still have enough backfocus to work in that situation. Filter wheels are about 20 -22mm, sensor is 22.2 mm deep in body in FLI ML8300, a FLI PDF focuser is about 20mm thick. FLI adapters to connect are flush and sit inside the unit so they don't add much - perhaps 1-2mm to the total.

If using a DSLR then no problem there, just a cheap Ebay adapter to match the lens to your DSLR. There are lots of those on ebay.

Greg.