View Single Post
Old 20-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Phil Hart

i'll be interested to hear how you go with this greg.

my widefield mosaic was four images in a row, which was hard enough. i was eventually able to make it work ok with Photoshop, but they were all complete RGB panels coming from a DSLR. worked better once i removed some of the stuff shot at lower altitudes (below ~40 degrees) and properly flat fielded. houghy also did an impressive demo of PixInsight with my data.

my CCD/takahashi epsilon mosaic (also Rho region) is not proving to be so successful. it's a two by two mosaic, but i did not have enough overlap between the panels to create a smooth transition. and in trying to get 20 hours of data over three nights at SPSP, i compromised too much and have got too much data at low levels creating too many different gradients.

my first attempt i tried creating separate L,R,G,B mosaics before combining into an L and RGB result. that didn't work very well so next time I will try creating finished L and RGB panels before creating the mosaic for each. but i'm going to need more data over the joins and only managed to get about half of it last weekend as we got a bit more cloud than i was expecting.

good luck.. it's a big project you're tackling! hope you have a *very* nice computer once you start working with all the layers and masks it will need a lot of grunt. even my 4 frame widefield mosaic was a 1GB PSD file with all the layers and by the end making any changes was getting real slow.

cheers
phil