Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidU View Post
Nice to see you over here David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Very nice, M&T! Looks very sharp.

As a software developer, I'm super impressed by the fact that you guys have written all your own software. That's awesome.

I did notice that some stars seemed to be RGB, others NB and was a bit confused before I read your description.

I saw a method of creating synthetic RGB stars from NB data... if I recall correctly it's just using:

R = H
G = H * 0.65 + O * 0.35
B = O

I used it on this image and think it worked really well there. Then again, sounds like you guys have RGB data anyway, so I suppose it's a moot point here!

I'm sure many will be philosophically opposed to such practices, but I'm a heathen, what can I say?
Thanks muchly Lee. We'll try your SHO to RGB method. Easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Am I right that you're imaging at about 0.4"/px? Is the image downsampled, or cropped (or both?)?

I certainly feel your pain regarding backlash / static friction. Even the Mach 1 has a small amount of backlash (I've seen Roland say 250-500ms) which can make Declination guiding challenging at times. I'm imaging at 0.5"/px so small amounts of backlash that wouldn't bother lots of people become problematic for me. High res encoders and/or backlash-free designs sound more attractive every day... unfortunately the current economic situation makes such things decidedly less attractive.
We're at about 0.55 sec arc/pixel. Not cropped, not downsampled. It is a mini-mosaic with about 90% frame overlap, hence the slightly wider field. We do what one might call giga-dithering, big programmed random movements between frames, which helps remove all sorts of artifacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
It has come up really well MnT, from the soft waves on the left to the stark contrasty shock front on the right.
I do find that purple squiggle/lightning fascinating, I've seen it in other images (remember it from your last one too) but it looks more defined here than in other renditions so I imagine that the good seeing helps
Thanks heaps Colin. We'd love to hear a professional verdict on that "lightning bolt".

Best,
MnT