View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 12:42 PM
kimrichards (Kim)

Need some advice on which ZWO camera for planetary imaging

Hi,

I have a C14 that I use part of the time for planetary imaging mostly Mars, Jupiter and Saturn with a 2x Powermate and a ASI120MC camera.

I would like to improve the quality of my imaging and am considering the following cameras.

ASI290MM or MC or an ASI385MC.

Can anyone help me decide?

1. The Color option:
The 385 has the same pixel size as the 120 at 3.75 so still would be sampling at roughly 0.1 arcsec/pixel. Would the more sensitive sensor and faster frame rate of the 385 help. For example would 2x binning help.

2. Mono option:
It seems generally accepted that a mono camera with color and UV/IR filters is superior to a color camera. However is it a significant jump in quality?
How much does the need to de-rotate the filter sets individually degrade the image?
If I go with the ASI290MM the pixel size drops to 2.9 and sampling is down to .08 arcsec/pixel so would probably bin to reduce the oversampling. At 2x binning that puts it at almost exactly 1/2 my Dawes limit of 0.33.

The color option is obviously the easiest and cheapest but am willing to go to mono if I am really going to see an improvement.
Thanks for any advice

Kim