View Single Post
Old 19-02-2019, 01:05 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Re Procyon

Well done Wavy..the last person I heard do it was famous Astro author James E Bakich in his 11 inch in the DESERT!
He had it verified by onlookers.
SO not much of a chance in my SCT which has too thick diffraction rings so no to it..possibly the 130mm Refractor.

My field in a 2.5mm Vixen in the 130mm Triplet is eyepiece field stop 2.1x 57.3 radians=120.33.

120.33÷910 FOCAL LENGTH of SCOPE
Or 0.132 x 60 minutes or 7.9 minutes of arc or 474 " and it will be 1.7x Barlowed if necessary.

Procyon B is 4.7 seconds from a GLARING PRIMARY..just on 1 percent of the field away and at PA 316 DEGREES OR NNW PRECEDING so the PRIMARY will always be hard to keep out of the way ...SIRIUS much EASIER, as the pup is FOLLOWING 10" from the primary and you just wait for Sirius A to get out of the field and there is the Pup FOLLOWING near directly EAST, which is much brighter than Procyon B!!

In my DIAGONAL its MIRROR REVERSE so NNE ..I KNOW WERE TO LOOK ..BUT GLARE and the FAINT SECONDARY Mag 10.8 could be hidden in the outer diffraction rings (still bright enough to swamp the secondary) hopefully its in space in a minima..AIRY DISK will be 1 sec of arc
to first minima BUT it will be well clear at 4.6" of arc..so I stand a chance.

SEEING GLARE and SCATTER and lack of aperture may be my worst enemy!

Im going to have to keep Procyon A OUT of the FIELD entirely ..good tracking crucial..NEAR 4 SECONDS OUT..and have a FOCUSED FLAT field at the border .

I've got many mag 11 SECONDARIES with fainter PRIMARIES doing that ..BUT this one is a CHALLENGE..WILL NEED VERY GOOD SUB ARC SEEING.

My mag limit is WELL over 13 nearer 14 ..and Procyon is very high in the sky..so its TERRIBLY difficult but doable Moons full ATM TOO.
I'll report back in another post Wavy if I do SPLIT it.

KNOWING WERE TO LOOK And JUDGING 4.6 sec in my STANDARD go to EYEPIECE IS HUGE.. PA 316, is a BIG HELP
Done it many times before with fainter Primaries..But seeing is CRUCIAL.

The 36 inch JAMES LICK REFRACTOR SPOTS IT REGULARLY IN GOOD SEEING.As a matter of fact Procyon B was only discovered as recently as 1896 by JAMES SHAEBERLE at the LICK, no one had seen it before!

Amateurs almost NEVER see it no matter how HARD they TRY. ONLY HANDFULS ..Wavy has done extremely well here.

Last I heard american ASTRO author Michael E Bakich saw it and had it confirmed by others nearby , in his 11 inch starmaster at TWIGHLIGHT, a GOOD time to see it, as THE PRIMARIES glare is MITIGATED!

As I said I'll not use my 925 SCT or 250 dob ,too bright diffraction rings and spikes ..dont want masking either...THERE not for these kinds of HUGE MAGNITUDE DELTA DOUBLES.
Maybe the 150mm Mak has a passable chance as 130mm and 910 focal is asking a bit much..no matter how good it is at around .95 Strehl!
APERTURE and DESIGN RULE FOLKS!!

Last edited by bigjoe; 21-02-2019 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Add