View Single Post
Old 30-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Phil Hart

Colin.. do you shoot full size RAW for timelapse or sRAW? it's a serious battle trying to shoot full RAW all the time especially for longer sequences.. big headaches!

Wayne.. Sony Vegas is another option that's quite capable but cheaper than After Effects. I believe the latest versions can work with RAW files too. The Pros tend to use After Effects though..

Also check out the Lightroom plug-in LR Timelapse. It helps you interpolate adjustments across a set of RAW images. Would it make it possible to use VirtualDub after exporting a set of JPGs from LR having done most of your adjutments there..

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmlegg View Post
Thanks Andy, Wayne.

Wayne, best to shoot RAW if you have a big enough card. I find that gives me more options later in post. I use After Effects for compiling the video, but other options include Quicktime Pro and Virtual Dub (among others). With After Effects you can ingest the RAW files direct, but it's more expensive than the others. Alternatively, you can convert the RAWs to 16 bit Tiff and ingest those. The key to good quality video is to work with the best material for as long as possible and compress only at the last step. Hope that helps.