View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 10:25 AM
terrynz (Terence)
Terry_wlg_NZ

Hyperstar install

Hi Mike,

Having been there with my carbon-fibre C11... here's some advise.

Go to starizona.com and watch the hyperstar install video by Dean. It explains the converstion process really well. play it multiple times keep it by your OTA when doing the conversion.

Wear gloves and avoid touching the mirrors and corrector plate.

To clean the primary....

I recommend you remove the SCT Ali tube from the mirror cell. Take the corrector and secondary out as per the video instructions, then remove the OTA tube by removing the screws primary cell. Do this with the OTA placed corrector end on workspace so the internal nuts fall-down. Remember to make and alignment mark for tube-mirror cell alignment.

Clean the primary - bintel make a solution, or use a solution from an optometrist will work fine. Use mircofibre towels as they leave no lint.

Flock the tube of you want.

The internal nuts that fall out whilst removing the primary mirror cell - glue these back in-place. Sorted for future cleaning etc

Remount the Tube and primary cell

Install Hyperstar conversion kit on the corrector plate

Align corrector

Place back together

Then go get some sleep! The hyperstar is one rocking system and very addictive.

From personal experience and having similar weather issues, I've found the hyperstar to be a life-safer. However once you start imaging on a clear night, you find yourself moving from one target to the next taking around 20 2min subs of each target, and each sub equal to 2 hours of F10 imaging... well you get the picture.

Enjoy and welcome to sleep deprivation
Terry
Cloudy, Windy, Wellington NZ!