View Single Post
Old 19-01-2019, 09:06 AM
tim.anderson (Tim Anderson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
I am NOT an imager, unfortunately being Autistic I never will be as I don't have the necessary patience, but I am connecting my DSLR to my scopes.

Therefore I have the most basic problem you will all have overcome.

72mm ED Skywatcher and 120mm Triplet ED Esprit.

Can not focus on infinity, assuming not enough inward travel.

See images

I have tried attaching the camera directly to the scope (72mm) NO luck, attaching the camera via 2" diags to the larger scope, NO luck, the only way is to use a reducer? screwed into the front of the camera nosepiece

So, is that it

Thanks
I assume you can get focus using an eyepiece and diagonal. If that is the case, then you should be able to get focus on the DSLR sensor (since it is just a matter of placing the sensor at the same distance from the lens as your eye would be).

I recommend not fitting the diagonal when using the DSLR. It gives you no benefit, and causes some light loss. Instead, connect the DSLR+bayonet adaptor+nosepiece straight into the focusser drawtube. However, to achieve the required "out-focus" distance, you will almost certainly require one or more spacer rings attached in front of the nosepiece.

I use this setup and mostly require about 25mm worth of spacers to get the focal plane of the camera to the same distance from the lens as a diagonal+eyepiece uses. Use enough spacers to avoid having the focusser drawtube racked out close to its maximum travel (many focussers in the racked-out position will droop under the weight of the camera, causing parts of your picture to be out of focus).

Hope that helps