View Single Post
Old 25-08-2018, 11:12 AM
Jeff
Starry Eyed

Hi Tarek,

I now use a 290mm with filters for planetary and works wonderfully well for the money. Very fast frame rate, and noticeably better resolution than I was able to able to achieve with a 290mc.

As suggested by Nik, I think the larger sensors on some of the other models you mention do not add much, if anything.

Excellent full frame pics of the moon do not really need planetary (video) techniques. Frame rates are typically poor when using larger chips with many pixels, and you will typically need an SSD-drive to use in conjunction with USB3 to get close to "camera specification" frame rates. Very high frame rate captures typically need a smaller chips, or a reduced "region of interest" anyway.

Have used my ZWO ASI-094mc for planetary with some success (with ROI limited 299x296), but could not get the frame rate anywhere near the 290mm.

The small pixels on the 290mm (2.9 microns) give a larger resulting planetary image (for a given focal length) than would be achieved with larger pixels (eg. 4.88 microns with my 094mc). Of course, there are tradeoffs involved re. seeing conditions, exposure length, and gain settings.

I have no experience with solar …. but it's on my bucket list for one day.
Good solar imaging scopes/filters are currently so expensive, I figure cameras will have evolved a fair bit by the time I eventually get bored enough to start dabbling with solar.

Hope this helps.
Enjoy whatever you choose!

Jeff