View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 09:53 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive milne View Post
Being as Canon pays the piper, it is realistic to expect the shekels to fall to those who showcase what is achievable with a DSLR
in preference to a 100 hour, cryogenic E2V deep depletion data mine, even if the image is worthy of a nobel prize.

Sadly, the Malin awards are bleeding credibility to my eyes.

~2c
I’d go for the stuff up over the conspiracy every time. I don’t believe David Malin is swayed one iota by Canon’s sponsorship.

That said, I’d bet London to a brick that the number of nightscape images has grown from a ripple to a tsunami...as consumer equipment (Canon/Nikon/Pentax etc.) has improved by an order of magnitude in the last few years with a corresponding fall in price.

Deep Sky, while popular, is hard to do well AND put a fresh face to....plus the gear required to grab an A-list image has been at a technological plateau for a number of years now....and is not getting significantly cheaper... new 4k sensor sCMOS pricing is daunting...and as for emCCDs..fantastic tech...but eye watering $$

Sure, the Malins are not perfect. Nor is Greenwich...and I am not aware of anything even similar in the USA....so perhaps they deserve more cred than some give them.