Old 16-12-2019, 11:08 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Alan
I started with a Canon T3i or 600D nearly 4 years ago and still use it
It does a great job imaging planets and the moon
You should be able to pick one ( body only) up for under $600 and all you need is a T ring and adapter so it can be inserted into your focuser ( you do need a 2” focuser in your telescope )
Later when you have more experience, you can upgrade to a tracking Goto mount like a HEQ5 and use BYEOS software to capture your images with the same camera Canon T3i or 600D via a laptop near the mount ( BYEOS was developed by fellow Canadian Guylain Roche )
Recommend you watch YouTube videos of Trevor Jones from Astrobackyard ( another fellow Canadian ) who demonstrates how to use a DSLR for astrophotography
Cheers
This is great advice for future proofing & giving yourself options later on down the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Take this all with a grain of salt as I'm a planetary failure.

Sounds like you might want one of those small sensor fast usb3 cameras - I don't know which would be best.

I'd be concerned that you
- don't have a motorised go-to mount. That might make it difficult.
- Also you'll want a longer focal length than 900mm - a x2 or more Barlow or powermate? But I suppose it all depends on how good the optics are on your custom scope?
I'd find it hard to disagree with this comment too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
zwo 224mc or 290 mc would work for planetary quite well as they both have very fast shutter rates
For what it is worth, I use a 224mc for planetary work & a DSLR for Deep Sky stuff so, good advice here too...

All of the above is good advice Alan, just depends what exactly you want to achieve in the end... & how deep your pockets might be in the future...

Whilst taken on tracking mounts, through totally different scope to yours, I've added what I think are two pretty reasonable examples of what you might achieve... note, they are captured using video, stacked in Autostakkert & sharpened in Registax.. they are not, single shot exposures.

I'm sure others could provide considerably better examples...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jupiter IR Cut after Wavelets.jpg)
25.4 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (Lunar Surface Annotated Low Res.jpg)
163.9 KB37 views