View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 06:53 PM
JA

I think there is scope for a carefully designed under camera bolt-on cooler, depending on the internal design of the camera in question. It's possible to get some idea of this by looking at the heat conduction paths to the sensor from either disassembling the camera oneself or carefully studying disassembled images/videos of one's camera on the net.

It certainly would make for a good DIY project, with far less complexity and downside risk than an invasive internally mounted cold-finger, as good a solution as that certainly potentially could be. There's no doubt that an effectively mounted internal cold finger would be better thermally, but an externally mounted unit, whilst it won't perform as well, due to thermal resistance at the various interfaces or through different materials, offers a simplicity and conversion back to normal, that is to be admired.

I can certainly see that on some metal bodied cameras (there are plenty of diecast magnesium bodied DSLRs )with good heat conduction paths to the sensor that there would be benefit. Of course the only proof is in the before and after images. As for concerns with internal condensation, one just needs to maintain surface temperatures above the dewpoint of the air inside/around the camera, which to be thorough could be somehow mapped with sensors and controlled electronically or more simply set by prior experiment/hand at some increased risk or performance disbenefit of reduced cooling.

As a DIY project, I think the concept has merit, on a camera specific basis and could easily be housed in or mounted via a camera battery pack grip. As a commercial product ..... it would have some limitations, but I'm sure people would buy it if one could show a photographic benefit in before/after images.

Best
JA