View Single Post
Old 13-01-2020, 08:19 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Looking back in my old notes it suggested that Stellarium Scope was originally developed as a program to enable the use of Stellarium as a planetarium when controlling the mount via EQMOD ie: EQASCOM
Obviously Synta mounts only ( Skywatcher and Orion )

This is probably why most people chose Cartes Du Ceil as their planetarium when controlling the mount through EQMOD as it was supported by ASCOM and no need for 3rd party programs.Looking at my notes a lot pf people had trouble with Stellarium Scope in the early years , but fortunately I didn't have any trouble once I sorted out the procedure

When Stellarium Scope is opened and the "Select Mount" button is pressed, the "Ascom Telescope Chooser Box" is launched. You can then select your mount type ( eg: EQMOD Ascom EQ5/6 ) and the Ascom Set Up Window appears. Once all settings are confirmed you can connect to the mount via your EQ Direct cable press OK and this opens the EQMOD driver window ready for controlling your mount via Stellarium

Looking at the latest version of Stellarium 0.19.3 the manual ( section 15.6 ) mentions there is no need to use Stellarium Scope in order to use your ASCOM telescopes with Stellarium anymore , and they encourage users to switch to the ASCOM option

There is no mention in the manual if your controlling your mount with EQMOD and using Stellarium as your planetarium ( with Stellarium Scope configuring the functionality )

I welcome other more experienced IIS members who use EQMOD and Stellarium Scope and Stellarium to add any further advice or comments on the above in particular, the latest version of Stellarium for Telescope Control

Thanks in Advance