View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 12:51 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

For predominantly urban usage, I think EVs have pretty much passed the "tipping point" as to whether they are a practical alternative, and now we just need to wait for the inevitable economies of scale before they become the economic option for at least one of the average household's two (or more) cars.

Even if you have a home where installing a fast-rate charger is impractical, the charge rate you can get from a standard wall socket is claimed to give around 10 km range per hour of charging - e.g. see: https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/support/...bile-connector
That would give you 100 km range or more for an overnight charge. Most of us do a LOT less than 100 km per typical week day (especially in our daily-drive "town" car), so over the course of a week of overnight trickle-charging, you should be fully charged come the weekend. Then you just need to plan your trips to include meal breaks / overnight stays where you can top-up. Sure, that's not as convenient (yet) as finding a petrol station, but you might be surprised to see that there are a lot of charging stations already available, and the number will grow rapidly as the number of EVs on the road grows: https://myelectriccar.com.au/charge-...-in-australia/
I would expect to see every major motorway fuel station will have multiple superchargers within a couple of years - stop for a toilet / coffee break, top-up for 15 - 20 minutes, and on your way for the next few hundred km.

It might take a few years before the range / convenience matches petrol / diesel, but be honest - how many of us can say hand-on-heart that an EV with a range of 200 km or more, and overnight trickle-charging, would not be viable for their week-day commuter / shopper, even if they "need" petrol / diesel for their weekender?

Yes, I will definitely be looking at EV options when it is time to upgrade. The price may not be right for a couple of years yet, but I would expect the price gap to close dramatically over the next 5 - 10 years.