View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 09:34 AM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
I'd probably go with the 80mm refractor. I've only been imaging for about a year now, so others more knowledgeable will probably correct me. I assume the tracking figures you mentioned are with just your camera on the mount as you don't have a scope? There's a weight issue. The 8" F5 newt is reasonably heavy and will be pushing the mount a bit more.

Also the 80mm refractor with a shorter focal length is easier to start with than the 8" with 1000mm focal length. I've got both an 80mm refractor and an 8" F5. I started imaging on the newt but found it a bit challenging. So reverted to the refractor (470mm focal length). It made it much easier to get acceptable pics. After a year I'm only just using the newt again. Also, none of that collimation fiddling. More time to process those beautiful images you'll get.
Thanks Chris,

So you think the lack of weight I've got on the mount may be contributing to my guiding issues? Never thought of that tbh but sounds like it may be a contributing factor. Its literally just a dslr and guidescope atm.

It does have a custom welded bracket to hold camera and guidescope which would add a kilo or so. but still the whole setup maybe 2.5kg worth..

I think I would like to start out with a small refractor, but due to budget constraints at this moment in time, a newt is much more within my means. (I have been stalking these forums for an ed80, and I have seen a few. Just haven't been able to convince the wife to let me throw an offer out yet )

What kind of guiding results are you getting with your heq5? If you link a guide log with your refractor and with your newt that would be much appreciated. (Or even just the guide RMS values and peak to peak).