View Single Post
Old 20-07-2018, 10:44 AM
Startrek (Martin)

EQMOD Serial USB Connection and Com Ports

In the next week or so I will be setting up EQMOD ( Ascom and EQAscom ) on my laptop to operate my HEQ5 Pro mount with 2 optional methods that I prefer to have available -

1/ EQDIRECT USB - Laptop to mount using a USB2EQ5 shoestring cable and 3m USB2 male to female extension cable ( no Synscan hand controller ) to reach my laptop 2m away on a portable table

2/ PC DIRECT - Laptop to RJ11 port on Synscan hand controller using a Jaycar Digitech USB to DB9 serial adaptor , plus the original serial cable that came with mount ( 1.8m RJ11 to DB9 ) and a 3m USB2 male to female extension cable (Synscan hand controller still available for use ) to reach my laptop 2m away on a portable table

My questions are -

Do I require to download a driver for the Digitech USB to DB9 adaptor to assign a dedicated com port on the Laptop and enable communications with the mount ?

As I have a 7 port MBeat powered USB Hub mounted under my laptop table for various other astro gear ,can that dedicated com port be one of the ports on the hub or do I have to connect straight to a dedicated USB port on the Laptop ?

Apologies for my limited understanding of PC networking

Thanks in advance