View Single Post
Old 31-12-2018, 04:41 PM
silv (Annette)

Quote:
47tuc and other globular are juuuuuuust out of reach, although I can almost make out the stars. Loving it.
These open star clusters are just magic as well. Could sit there all night.
Sounds exactly like me. I got my faster, blue-er Skywatcher 102/500 and an iOptron Alt-Az GOTO mount in October, just when the cloudy season set in over here in North-East Germany. But whenever I get the chance, I am "drinking starlight" .

I went for binocular viewing from the start and after 2 mis-purchases of another brand, am now a happy owner of a TS Binoviewer. Would that also interest you at some stage? Viewing with both eyes to me has a wow-effect like in a 3D-cinema.

Regarding zoom eyepieces, I'm thinking along the same line as you: get a zoom to figure out which magnification I am using most. I only have an unobstructed view to the west and this and my own preference restrict me to starfields, open clusters ... the moon and sun (with ND5 solar filter foil !) -no planets.
So a wide field of view in eyepieces is a matter of importance, like Brian suggests.

At the moment, until January 31st, the Baader Hyperion Zoom MARK IV, for 2" with a 1.25" adapter, is on Christmas sale at every vendor. The rather narrow FOV is
8mm 68°
12mm 63°
16mm 58°
20mm 53°
24mm 48° . It's an expense but you only need 1 (not 2 like me)...
https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/baader-hyperion-universal-zoom-mark-iv-8-24mm-eyepiece-(1¼"--2").html
Don't know which shop sells them in Australia, unfortunately.
Anyway, hope you'll enjoy the new world you opened up for yourself with the beautiful ED100.

Happy new year!
Annette