View Single Post
Old 19-02-2019, 09:23 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

functional sturdiness = put the scope in space

Personally I think use is irrelevant, a cheaper tripod option to save bucks is useless for any good use. You never ever see anyone doing high quality astronomy with thoes flimsy wooden tripod that come with cheap nasty scopes. Look at the setups people use and you notice there are common components this is because they work best at the budget and skill levels of those people. On the budget scales there are "humps" where there is a single product that is best for the price with nothing else close or maybe one competing option. Which can be decided depends then on features and what gear you already have as some gear combinations and control are better supported than others. Not because one product is better than the other, its not that simple. To go to something better you then jump greatly on the budget scale and again and again. There is no single product that does everything you will ever want. People upgrade until they hit their budget limit so many people end up with the same gear as the top grade components are not replaced by the manufacturers every month like mobile phone seem to be.

Another thing rarely considered is living with the telescope and setup. Can you have it assembled and just move outside when needed? Where do you then store it? will it fit out the door? will it be in your way inside? How is your health? Will you be able to handle the weight and awkward shape of moving a setup around?

I was in good health when I had a stroke. It left me with permanent disabilities. As well as the inability to use my 11" SCT setup. Maybe I could with a motorised wheeled platform of some sort to move it out the garage but thats a financial barrier I'll never be able to reach either.

As you go up in price and sturdiness you also go up in weight of the setup making it more difficult to use and also adding strain to the gear itself which is why is dumb to buy something that can only just handle the weight you want to put on it as it'll be strained all the time, shortening lifespan and reducing accuracy/reliability. Though the benefit of weight itself is stability, by default the mass creates hude inertia to absorb vibrations creating stability.