Thread: FITS headers
View Single Post
Old 23-08-2013, 12:40 AM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Ian and I have been in email discussion for the past couple hours. I have sent him some files etc, and he is experiencing the same issues. Only seems to be PI not accepting the padding (whereas other programmes will). The odd thing is I cannot load the just created FITS back into the self-same SX capture software.

He is working on a fix for it now, so will post it when he finds out more.
Do you mean padding or lack of padding?

The header says 3040x2024 but the camera is supposed to generate 3024x2016. If there are 3024x2016 pixels in the data but the header says there should be 3040x2024 then that explains the "*** Error: checking data fill: tried to move past end of file" since it should have another 56576 pixels of data.

If PI believes the header it can't work without fixing the header. Otherwise Ian will have to provide some means for you to tell PI what the correct NAXIS1 and NAXIS2 are.

Any chance of getting SX to fix their software?

There's a program from ESO to replace a header line. http://archive.eso.org/saft/replacekey/ with a link to the doco.
It compiles under CygWin (and would require some work to compile with MSVC) so I could send you the program and the DLL it needs.

replacekey my.fits "NAXIS1 = 3024" "NAXIS1"
replacekey my.fits "NAXIS2 = 2016" "NAXIS2"