View Single Post
Old 13-08-2011, 04:36 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

Help with LX200GPS

Hello Mark and welcome to Ice in Space. I have an LX200GPS and have not had any troubles like you are having. Firstly you do not need to put in time or location, as this is the whole purpose of having a GPS in the system to start with. You must make sure your alt and dec claps are locked tight. That is the metal lock on the base of the mount that stops the scope from rotating. Also the wheel on the side of the falk arms (right side) that locks the up and down movement. Then turn on the scope and allow it to do it start up. Once it has finished it will ask you to press 0 to alight or menu. Select either option, if you select menu you will then select auto align. The scope will pick two stars to align with. Press Enter and the scope will slew or move to the first star. It will not be in your eyepiece (use a 25mm eyepiece) but will show in your viewfinder and will be the brightest star. Some people have problems know which star it is, but it will alway be the brightest near star. then move the scope using the buttons on the hand controller to get the star in the center of your 25mm eyepiece and when you have press enter. The telescope will move to the second star and you will need to do the same process and center the star in your eyepiece. Press Enter and the telescope handpiece should then tell you that allign was succesful. you can then now go to objects using the database in the handpiece or by just using the buttons to go to the object. You should find that the scope will keep the object in view. If it does not do this you have centered the wrong stars and messed up the location so the scope will not track correctly.

Good advice on downloading the instructions as this is not the type of product you can operate well without a little reading. Good luck and I hope I have been some help.. Just keep trying and always ask questions on this site. This place is like family and we all love to help each other. If not for this site my telescope would have been part of my garden mulch LOL..

Regards
Mardy