View Single Post
Old 15-12-2017, 07:48 AM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
If the brain interpolates the signals correctly then the theoretical resolution of the TSA120 pair could be the width of both objectives (300mm?) although the light gathering power would be maybe ~ 140mm?
Unfortunately that won't be the case, I highly doubt that the brain will work as an interferometer would, thus the actual resolution will still be limited by the individual aperture of the scopes, but the improved 'SNR' should allow one to see what is there better using the binoscope than a single. That is where the binocular summation factor comes in.

Some people argue that the binocular summation factor is about 1.4x, others will tell you it is dependent on whether you're viewing extended objects or bright point sources. I have read argument for anywhere between 1.2x and 1.7x.

Using the 1.4x as an example, a 120mm binoscope would give a perceived image brightness about equal to a 168mm single scope. I have my doubts about that. Introducing binoviewers into a single scope means that the brightness perceived by each eye is less, usually quoted as about 70-75%. That (in theory) would mean that the TOA150 image would be dimmer than a 120mm single scope. (150x75%+112.5)

Another point to consider is that binocular use for people with an imbalance in their sight (one eye much better than the other) can actually reduce the perceived brightness. (Fechner's Pair of Ducks ) which suggests that the brain will average the signal of two eyes where they are different and in those cases the person's good eye alone would see a brighter view than with both eyes...

It will be a nice experiment (albeit a rather expensive one ).

I will also be keen to see if any 3D effects are noticeable.
Using the binoscope certainly has a huge comfort factor in that my 'floaters' are all but invisible even at 120x and above....

What I am really looking forward to is high power lunar viewing in the binoculars....

Last edited by Kunama; 15-12-2017 at 08:16 AM.